Pamoja Education Admin

Pamoja Education Admin

Meet the Pamoja Education Admin Team…

Martin G.

Martin GPamoja Education Head of School Services -IB Coordinator

• Where are you from and where do you live?
    • I was born in England but Cherry, my wife, was born in Nigeria, one daughter was born in USA and the other in Oman. My daughters are married and off my hands (and bank account) and Cherry and I live in Oxford – until the end of July 2013 when we will move to Zambia where I am taking up the post of Head of the International School of Lusaka.
  • Where have you lived?
    • After university, I spent 6 months on a kibbutz in Israel and wandering around Egypt and Greece. As a teacher I have lived in the Indian Himalaya, Washington DC in USA, Muscat in Oman, Edinburgh in Scotland, Copenhagen in Denmark, Lilongwe in Malawi, Saigon in Vietnam and Hong Kong. I haven’t made it to South America yet but would love to! Most of that time I was an IB HL biology teacher but in the last 13 years or so I have worked as a high or secondary school principal. I love teaching IB DP HL Bio and would be happy to do that for the next few years! The countries that had the most significant effect on my life were India, Malawi and Oman. I have returned to India many times and am really happy to be heading back to Africa for the next few years.
  • What do you do at Pamoja?
    • I am Head of School Services and work directly with the Head of School Services, Andrew Flory, and the School Service Managers, Josey Jenkins, Brenda O’Connor and Audrey Manarkoli.
  • What can you tell us about your role?
    • The role of the school services team is to assist schools with registering and enrolling students and to work with teachers and SBCs to ensure that students are attending and engaging in their online courses. We are the link between schools and teachers. I have also spent quite a bit of time over the last two years developing the SIS and working on our systems for providing good services to schools (and teachers). We also publish the Term Reports and I act as the IBDP Coordinator for Pamoja Education.
  • Tell us about your favorite hobbies.
    • I like trekking in high mountains, riding motorbikes, reading contemporary literature (not that I understand or remember much of it) and planting trees. I hope at some point to build my own house. My greatest sadness is that I can’t sing or play a musical instrument.

My wife and I biking around:

Martin & wife on Street Triple

.

Image Credit: Flickr Commons