PLC Members’ Facts

More about us…

Below are short Pamoja Education Teacher interviews. Read on to learn more about us…

Peter A.

Pamoja Education Psychology Teacher and HoD

• Where are you from and where do you live?
    • I was born in Brisbane Australia but I now live in Bangkok Thailand.
  • Where have you lived?
    • I have lived in a few places: Sydney, London, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai and Kobe.
  • What subjects do you teach with Pamoja?
    • Previously I taught HL Economics and SL Psychology but now I have focused on Psychology.
  • What can you tell people about teaching online?
    • Teaching online is a very different experience to teaching in the classroom. Obviously you need to be proficient at using the various technological tools employed by Pamoja Education to help students learn. You need to be very supportive of students as they are face the dual challenges of learning this technology and mastering the content of the subject. As a teacher you get to know your students very well in terms of intellectual strengths and those areas where they need to improve. It is a rewarding experience knowing that you are providing students with an educational experience that they would not have been able to undertake if it was not for Pamoja Education offering online course.
  • Tell us a bit about your photography passion.
    • I have enjoyed photography for a few years now. I especially enjoy travel photography but have also experimented in panoramic photography and long exposure photography. Examples can be found on my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_anthony/
Here is a preview of the Japan album:

——————————

Jeffrey G.

Pamoja Education Film Teacher

• Where are you from?
    • New York
  • Where do you live?
    •   New York
  • Where have you lived?
    •  Paris – France, Los Angeles – CA, Brussels – Belgium, Geneva – Switzerland,  Mumbai – India
    •  IB Film Studies 
    •  Teaching online is a brilliant new means with which to reach students in an increasingly globalised world. I love it!
  • Tell us a bit about your film career and awards.

Over the years as a filmmaker I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with some very talented people all over the world. Each new project has opened up both my eyes and imagination to new ideas, cultures and peoples that I would have never otherwise known existed. My first feature film “Solomon Enev” premiered at the 14th St. Petersburg International Film Festival. Following this project, my script “Aleksander Rouge” won best screenplay at the ECU, European Independent Film Festival. One of the many, vey gifted filmmakers that I regularly work with is award-winning writer, director and producer, Pan Nalin. One of our projects “Slightly Sane” was awarded Best Project at the PPP (Pusan Promotion Plan) of the Pusan International Film Festival held in Korea. I have also had the pleasure to write and produce several short films that have collected awards and appeared at festivals throughout the world. As an actor, I will soon be appearing on France’s leading leading national television channel, France 2, playing the key role of Robert Clive in the network’s elaborate 18th century mini series, “Rani”. It was a true pleasure and honor to work with the likes of French stars, Jean-Huguhes Anglade, Yael Abecassis, Mylene Jamponoi and Jean-Philippe Ecoffey. 
In addition to my creative work, I have always found teaching to be a wonderful outlet and exchange of ideas. As an educator, I was one of the two co-founders of EICAR, The International Film School of Paris. EICAR’s international program offers BFA and MFA in film direction entirely taught in English, the first of their kind in France. Since my time at the film school, I have continued to teach screenwriting, filmmaking, storytelling, and acting workshops all over the world from Paris to Mumbai, New York and online.

Samples of my work can be found in my YouTube Channel: Jeffrey Goldberg
.
This is one of my films: “Origami Boat”

——————————

.

.

Nancy J.

Nancy JPamoja Education Psychology Teacher

• Where are you from?
    • I was born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, the garden of England and my UK home is in London
  • Where do you live?
    • Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, since August  12th 2012
  • Where have you lived?
    • Abu Dhabi, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Rangoon, Jerusalem and London. I have enjoyed all these places, but my favourites are Rangoon and Jerusalem. In Rangoon I was privileged to meet and get to know Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. While in Jerusalem I had a cameo role in a Palestinian feature film, Salt on the Sea, which featured in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2008 Cannes Film Festival. Saudi Arabia is also fascinating and a hidden gem. Who knew that there is an ancient Nabatean City here, Maa’din Saleh that rivals Petra and is a UNESCO World Heritage site? See photographs below.
    • I teach psychology with Pamoja Education. I have also taught English, theatre and business in f2f schools.
    • I love the different relationship I can have with my students and the challenge of building that relationship through News Items, feedback, discussion posts and blogs, as well as pages and emails and Elluminate. I also feel empowered by the huge range of tools we were trained to use to create compelling news items and engage our students. I love using Animoto and Goanimate in my News Items and I have made a couple of guest lectures using voice thread too. The excellent teacher training I received has made me more confident in my use if all technological tools, both in online teaching and in the f2f classroom. Best of all though, is being part of a supportive community of IB teachers who are engaged in intellectual enquiry and who really care about student learning. I cannot praise the support I have received from my colleagues and head of department enough.
  • Tell us a about your favorite hobbies.
    • I love theatre, acting and directing. I love reading and I am writing-very slowly-a series of interlinked detective stories set in Jerusalem. I love travel. I am currently obsessed with Jonathan Roche’s online No excuses Boot Camps, introduced to me by a colleague. This is an attempt to offset the major form of entertainment here in Saudi Arabia, eating. There is not much theatre and no cinema here- in fact the nearest cinema is in Bahrain- so I have to be the Queen of the Box Set. Currently watching the Danish crime drama The Killing III.
My Middle East – Petra Photographs:

——————————

Laura S.

Laura SPamoja Education Psychology Teacher

Recorded interview with Dr. Laura Swash:

Interview Transcript:

Hello everybody. I am here with Dr. Laura Swash. I had the privilege of meeting her this weekend, as she came to Uganda to give a workshop on the new Global Contexts for MYP.

We are going to interview her for our PLC blog.

• How are you Laura?
    • I am fine. I am a bit taken by surprise, I thought this was just going to be a speaking interview and not filmed.
  • Could you tell us where you are from, where you live and where you have lived?
    • OK. I am originally from Britain, from England. From the Southeast.  Not very far from London, from the coast. And really until I was in my early forties, I lived there and brought up my children and I was a teacher there. When they got older I decided to brach out and go teach over seas. My first job was in Thailand, at a very small school that was starting there, the Thai-Chinese International School which is now a big school in Bangkok. After that I worked in the States for two years and then Egypt and then Tanzania. After Tanzania, I moved and I worked for the IB in Geneva for three years as a Middle Years Programme associate. Finally I worked for two years at a school in Portugal. Now I am retired, not really retired, semi-retired and living on a Portuguese island.
  • When you were teaching face to face what subjects did you teach?
    • Oh, quite a lot of different subjects. Because the school in Thailand was growing, I was teaching History and Social Studies, and English Language A. In the States I taught Social Studies and something calles ‘Forensics’, which isn’t actually cutting up bodies, it’s a form of debate through role-play. There was a whole Forensics league in Michigan and we would go around the state to competitions. And then I got into Diploma teaching when I moved to Egypt in the year 2000, so I have only been a Diploma teacher for about 13 years. 
  • Which subjects do you teach with Pamoja Education?
    • I teach Psychology standard level.
  • What can you tell us about online education?
    • I think it’s fantastic. I think it’s very engaging to students, I think it’s very demanding of teachers and students. It demands great organization skills and the ability to maintain focus and remember it’s a marathon and not a sprint. The variety of ways to get across your ideas and to allow students to get their ideas across makes us much more creative. 
  • I heard you wrote a book recently, could you tell us about it?
    • I wrote a quarter of two books with three other people. We wrote a student and a teacher edition of an Approaches To Learning book aimed at the MYP programme. It is a ‘How to do it in the classroom” book. For the students it it written from a student’s point of view and for the teacher it is written from a teacher’s point of view. It has been quite successful.
  • You have many instructional abilities with education. You teach students and you teach teachers, but I also hear that you are an instructor of something completely apart from education. Could you tell as about that?
    • Yes. I teach Scuba Diving. I as saying to a PE teacher that I am not actually an athletic person. I looked as if I should be when I was a child, I was tall and slim then, but swimming is the only sport I really love. I took up Scuba Diving when I was 41 and I loved it.  By the time I was 48, I had become an instructor. After that, every job I moved to revolved on how near it was to the sea and could I teach Scuba Diving. 
Scuba Diving with My Husband:
Laura S. and Husband

——————————

Cheryl H.

Cheryl HPamoja Education Spanish Teacher

• Where are you from?
    • I was born in Saskatchewan, Canada and grew up there.  
  • Where do you live?
    • I currently live in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
  • Where have you lived?
    • I have lived in various parts of Saskatchewan.  I also lived in Quebec and Manitoba (both in Canada).  I had short summer stays in Mexico and Spain.  My longer international residences have been in France, Kuwait and the UAE.
    • I teach Spanish ab initio SL.  When I was teaching in a f2f school I taught French Immersion classes and then French and Spanish ab initio.
    • Students can be very dependent and driven in the direction of their own learning.  Perhaps, too often, we don’t always give our f2f students enough freedom and responsibility to drive their own learning experiences.  I am very impressed with the amount of information that the foreign language students have to process and their ability to produce quality work.  I absolutely love teaching the ab initio levels because you can really see a student go from knowing next to nothing to being able to read small articles and to write small paragraphs and converse about various topics…all in a short period of time.  I love it!
    • I love to spend time with my children because they can always make me laugh.  I enjoy reading, writing and learning new things.  I like to spend time outdoors appreciating nature (camping, canoeing, hiking).  When I am indoors, I love to spend time baking and decorating cakes.  
A Photo of My Family:
Cheryl's family

.

.

.

Birthdays

.